Migrate IMAP messages

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
bacl9591
New user
New user

Migrate IMAP messages

Post by bacl9591 » 2013-01-03 22:47

I need to move specific IMAP account data from the hMailServer database to the IMAP account which now resides on a different server. Can anyone tell me how to export the data for an account within a domain when i nolonger have access to the IMAP account via logging into email or via webmail? I think I need to be able to export from hMailServer and import into Microsoft Outlook? Any help would be appreciated. Currently the email is set up and working on a new server but has none of the old data from the hMailServer.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Migrate IMAP messages

Post by dzekas » 2013-01-03 23:08

bacl9591 wrote:I need to move specific IMAP account data from the hMailServer database to the IMAP account which now resides on a different server. Can anyone tell me how to export the data for an account within a domain when i nolonger have access to the IMAP account via logging into email or via webmail? I think I need to be able to export from hMailServer and import into Microsoft Outlook? Any help would be appreciated. Currently the email is set up and working on a new server but has none of the old data from the hMailServer.
IMAP account stores messages on the server. It is part of protocol. You do need access to older IMAP account for data migration, if you are not some IT magician

bacl9591
New user
New user

Post by bacl9591 » 2013-01-04 03:04

that's what i was afraid of!

mattg

Post by mattg » 2013-01-04 03:40

Do I read this correctly, that you have access to the hMailserver that you want to get data from?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

DavidB
Normal user
Normal user

Post by DavidB » 2013-01-09 01:49

I think he does,
If you have access to the old hmailserver data for that user you could copy the data folder for the user across and put it in the same location on the new hmailserver, and run a data directory synchronise, it should dump all messages into the inbox

mattg

Post by mattg » 2013-01-09 04:11

And surely if they do have access, that they can arrange IMAP logons to the accounts
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation