IPhone support and latest ......

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
ShadowTech
New user
New user

IPhone support and latest ......

Post by ShadowTech » 2012-12-16 20:13

Hello everyone. I've been using hmail server for about 5 yrs now ... I was running the latest production build for version 4. My clients that are running i-phones and i-pads cannot log-in at all. They have huge issues checking sending and receiving messages.

Has this issue been addressed in the latest versions?

Reason why I ask is that to "solve" this issue I went to mail enable :cry: not cool....

I want to go back to hmail but I really need to make sure that my clients are not going to have problems with there i-Phones. I loose money that way. I'm on the mail enable standard and it sucks huge.... no SSL, no Anit-Nothing as far as I can see....

Please let me know if I can use this pop3 and smtp with i-phones and what build of hmail I should be getting to use it with the new standards that are coming out on these phones..

Just to be a little more in-dept; my client told me that he spoke with engineering at apple and they said this server was built on 1980 something technology and will no longer work in 2013 with there stuff due to the new protocols that there implementing...

What is this guy talking about? They said that the newer software on the iPhones just simply wont work with this server.

One thing I know is that the developers here will help me prove this guy an A**

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Re: IPhone support and latest ......

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-12-17 00:09

Hey ShadowTech,
Thanks for being a loyal user. :) Umm ok not sure on the whole 1980's thing.. I've only been using hmail for 2 years (as you can see I'm quite active) but as fas I know hmail was started in like 2003 or so not 1980! lol Maybe the guy is referring to mail server protocols or something? Got me..

In terms of iCrap (iphones/ipads/ipods/etc) hmail definitely works with them all both using POP & IMAP and SMTP for sending too. I have many iCrap users as do many people. I can't think of a reason they wouldn't work with hmail 4 though but either way that is quite old and a LOT has changed so you should really consider upgrading to 5.4. Please share though what issues are you are having so we can help.
Thx
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

ShadowTech
New user
New user

Post by ShadowTech » 2012-12-17 00:52

well, the enginer up at apple was saying something about the protocals were updated, and most of the mail servers would be incompatible after OSI 7 or something like that. ... either 6 or 7 cant really remember.

I'm just wondering did you get those "updates" or whatever he was talking about in the 5 update?

I'm going to re-install the newest one and run some testing on it tomorrow. Maybe tonight depending on how impatient I am haha

DeanoX
Senior user
Senior user

Post by DeanoX » 2012-12-17 01:04

And just what does the crapple engineer recommend to use as a mail server?
hMailServer 5.4.2-1964, mysql, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, SquirrelMail, GeoIP.
hMailServer Support Services for US Based Clients.
Low Rates, Quick Service. Send a Private Message for More Information.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-12-17 01:56

ShadowTech wrote:well, the enginer up at apple was saying something about the protocals were updated, and most of the mail servers would be incompatible after OSI 7 or something like that. ... either 6 or 7 cant really remember.

I'm just wondering did you get those "updates" or whatever he was talking about in the 5 update?

I'm going to re-install the newest one and run some testing on it tomorrow. Maybe tonight depending on how impatient I am haha
Hogwash. Since hmail follows internet standards I can't imagine it not working but would need more details on what they are referring to. Considering how many mail servers are out there I find it hard to believe they'd deviate from accepted standards or risk not working with anything. I mean the whole point of standards is interoperability.

I will say with iCrap there is a set order they test & try to auto-configure so if you don't use ssl and don't use standard ports it'll take FOREVER (and appear to hang) so be patient. It appears to try IMAP before POP & tries SSL before no SSL for example so it takes a very long time before each fail to get down to POP without SSL.
Bill
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver

ShadowTech
New user
New user

Post by ShadowTech » 2012-12-17 03:01

Bill48105 wrote:
ShadowTech wrote:well, the enginer up at apple was saying something about the protocals were updated, and most of the mail servers would be incompatible after OSI 7 or something like that. ... either 6 or 7 cant really remember.

Hogwash. Since hmail follows internet standards I can't imagine it not working but would need more details on what they are referring to. Considering how many mail servers are out there I find it hard to believe they'd deviate from accepted standards or risk not working with anythng. I mean the whole point of standards is interoperability.

I will say with iCrap there is a set order they test & try to auto-configure so if you don't use ssl and don't use standard ports it'll take FOREVER (and appear to hang) so be patient. It appears to try IMAP before POP & tries SSL before no SSL for example so it takes a very long time before each fail to get down to POP without SSL.
Bill
Can it use pop with SSL???

mattg

Post by mattg » 2012-12-17 03:21

ShadowTech wrote:Can it use pop with SSL???
Yes

I find IMAP better though when I access the same account from multiple places.
I have an iPad, an iPod and an iPhone personally that all connect fine to my hMailservers (as far back as 4.4 I reckon) via IMAP, with and without SSL.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

ShadowTech
New user
New user

Post by ShadowTech » 2012-12-17 19:57

mattg wrote:
ShadowTech wrote:Can it use pop with SSL???
Yes

I find IMAP better though when I access the same account from multiple places.
I have an iPad, an iPod and an iPhone personally that all connect fine to my hMailservers (as far back as 4.4 I reckon) via IMAP, with and without SSL.
Okay, here is what I got thus far... I've got hMail server installed again (YAHOOO!!!!) <-- no not yahoo.com hahaha

I do have one slight issue tho. I've converted the SSL and everything as described (to get SSL Working) All was done.... BUT...

I keep getting hanshake failed with SSL error code 2

Not sure whats going on here but I can really use the help getting this SSL working. I don't think I've ever had it working before; but than again I cannot remember...

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-12-17 21:45

Sounds like your ssl certs are not setup right on hmail. Are you using a self-signed cert or a purchased one? Be sure you followed the how-to exactly.
Bill

ShadowTech
New user
New user

Post by ShadowTech » 2012-12-17 23:14

I have a purchased SSL... weird thing is I changed non SSL port to 25 (pop) and now smtp is working again. I have the SSL setup and it seems to be working on all standard SSL ports but now port 25 will not work (unsecured or secured).

On another note I'm looking for a web mail client that is worth a crap and was looking in to round cube (on IIS 7) server 2008.

Do u have any suggestions for a good web mail client that my clients can work with. I like the features of round cube..

mattg

Post by mattg » 2012-12-18 00:49

Port 25 is SMTP not POP
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

ShadowTech
New user
New user

Post by ShadowTech » 2012-12-18 01:07

mattg wrote:Port 25 is SMTP not POP
ya that's what I meant typo sorry about that

ShadowTech
New user
New user

Post by ShadowTech » 2012-12-18 01:09

mattg wrote:Port 25 is SMTP not POP
P.S. I like ur sig

larrymcp
New user
New user

Post by larrymcp » 2012-12-18 22:07

Oh, heck yeah version 5.4 works with every standard smartphone we've seen! Works great.

Over here we've got employees with iPhones, Androids, Windows Phones etc. and they are all working just fine through hMailServer. We've got them all sending with SMTP and receiving with IMAP.

One employee was having a problem sending e-mail from her iPad. It turned out that she was misled by the iPad's e-mail configuration screen: the screen says that the username and password are "optional" for outgoing e-mail. I told her no, those fields are actually required. Then she filled 'em in and everything was fine.

So... if you see any troubles logging in from a smartphone, just post the details of the problem here, and it should be pretty easy to troubleshoot.

Nothing special about e-mail on a smartphone. It's just another e-mail program like Outlook or Thunderbird.

larrywillsons
New user
New user

Post by larrywillsons » 2012-12-26 08:47

I can't think of a purpose they wouldn't perform with hmail 4 though but either way that is quite old and a lot has changed.

ShadowTech
New user
New user

Post by ShadowTech » 2012-12-26 19:54

I've done the latest update on hmail and everything seems to be working out just fine. I'm guessing that was the case (i had to old of a copy).

Thank you to everyone up here at hmail for all your hard work.

bescher
Normal user
Normal user

Post by bescher » 2013-01-01 02:02

I have been using iphones since day one and have been using Hmail all most as long. I just got a Ipad 3, and I have a iphone 5. I have no problems with either using hmail. Although it does not like SSL it works just fine otherwise. My clients that have iphones do not have any issues with it at. Just remember since if yor using pop you can't have more than one client open at a time. Using Imap can be a pain. best use pop

ShadowTech
New user
New user

Post by ShadowTech » 2013-01-01 06:33

I figured I would just have them use IMAP. This way they can use the folder features (like the cloud) as most of my clients put it. Either way I don't change them for any of that so they really cannot complain lol...