Time On Email Recieved From Server

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
cblaze22
Normal user
Normal user

Time On Email Recieved From Server

Post by cblaze22 » 2012-12-03 22:14

My client is on EST standard time, while my server is on Arizona MST. They are complaining the dates of the email are showing up as Arizona MST when downloaded. Is this a hmailserver issue or server issue? How can I fix this? The user is using POP3.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Time On Email Recieved From Server

Post by percepts » 2012-12-03 22:45

I suppose you could have clients in any timezone. I'd just tell your user you can't set time zones per user. i.e. it is server wide. Suppose they get email from timbuktu. What timezone would they expect that to be in?

There is no date or timezone setting in hmailserver so its a server setting.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2012-12-03 23:09

cblaze22 wrote:My client is on EST standard time, while my server is on Arizona MST. They are complaining the dates of the email are showing up as Arizona MST when downloaded. Is this a hmailserver issue or server issue? How can I fix this? The user is using POP3.
Email header will have MST time zone in Received: headers, but your users are normally not looking at them. They are looking at date set by your client. If your "client" is webmail hosted by server in MST time zone, your users are telling you that your email program has time zone settings misconfigured.

cblaze22
Normal user
Normal user

Post by cblaze22 » 2012-12-03 23:11

It seems to just be my server not syncing to Microsoft time servers. I will confirm.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2012-12-03 23:19

cblaze22 wrote:It seems to just be my server not syncing to Microsoft time servers. I will confirm.
IMHO Arizona's TZ needs some timezone patch from Microsoft. If you skipped on patching server with non-critical patches....

Instead of trying to sync with MS, sync with pool.ntp.org. Works better. MS sync depends on microsoft having servers somewhere close to you.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2012-12-04 01:29

dzekas wrote:
cblaze22 wrote:My client is on EST standard time, while my server is on Arizona MST. They are complaining the dates of the email are showing up as Arizona MST when downloaded. Is this a hmailserver issue or server issue? How can I fix this? The user is using POP3.
Email header will have MST time zone in Received: headers, but your users are normally not looking at them. They are looking at date set by your client. If your "client" is webmail hosted by server in MST time zone, your users are telling you that your email program has time zone settings misconfigured.
But you are saying "user" which to me means internal. The OP is saying "client" which to me means someone he is doing business with. I am asking what happens when he has clients in lots of diffeerent time zones? what is your solution then?

mattg

Post by mattg » 2012-12-04 01:40

I think that the local mail client should show mail in 'adjusted for local timezone' time.

different clients show different times
eg Outlook shows time message was sent from originating client (as per FIRST time header)
Thunderbird shows time message was received by mail server (as per LAST time header)
Both make adjustments to local timezone for where the mail client is installed.

If no timezone information is present in time header, then GMT is assumed.

I occasionally get mail before it was sent, but only when the timezone information is missing.
my timezone is GMT +1000 without any Daylight Saving Time adjustments
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-12-04 04:50

I have users in many time zones & never have issues because the email client is supposed to adjust the date/time based on email headers. Have all your users check that their OS time & time zone are correct for their location, that they have all updates if older OS and that you have correct date/time/timezone set on the server.
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***