Mailbox showing as empty...it shouldn't be?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
sm69th
New user
New user

Mailbox showing as empty...it shouldn't be?

Post by sm69th » 2012-11-19 16:44

I have hmailserver setup and I use roundcube as a webmail front end.

My client logged into today to roundcube and it shows he is using 68% of his mailbox (~368MB/500MB). However there is *1* message showing in his inbox and all his other folders (sent, trash, etc) are all 100% empty.

As I am typing this, two more messages showed up, so *new* messages seem to show up fine. But his entire history has vanished.

On the server, I checked the file system, and it shows 660 files in 256 folders, totaling 338MB. So the message still EXIST...they just don't show up.

I thought of using the "DataDirectorySynchronizer.exe" to import his email, but I didn't want to screw up the database.

I also went into the database and looked in the hm_message_metadata table, and filtered for his email address. I got back 582 rows! So it seems like most messages are in the database? Yet nothing in the webmail front end?

Any ideas, I am truly flummoxed :-)

mattg

Re: Mailbox showing as empty...it shouldn't be?

Post by mattg » 2012-11-20 02:41

Does Roundcube show messages marked for deletion?

My guess is that the messages are marked for deletion, but not yet actually deleted.
Perhaps viewing them in another mail client or changing roundcube settings? Be careful NOT to purge though, or mail marked for deletion will be really deleted.

make a copy of the hMailserver Data directory first, just in case.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

sm69th
New user
New user

Post by sm69th » 2012-11-21 16:43

Is there a way to check in the database if a email is marked for deletion? Or a way to filter all emails for a specific user account?

I don't *think* they should be marked for deletion as it seems to be folder wide, inbox, sent, junk, trash, etc. All folders just wiped out.

This user only uses webmail, so "sent" by itself should have a couple hundred email messages.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2012-11-21 19:57

sm69th wrote:Is there a way to check in the database if a email is marked for deletion? Or a way to filter all emails for a specific user account?

I don't *think* they should be marked for deletion as it seems to be folder wide, inbox, sent, junk, trash, etc. All folders just wiped out.

This user only uses webmail, so "sent" by itself should have a couple hundred email messages.
telnet your-imapserver 143
> should display some greeting
A01 login username password
> should verify pass
A02 examine INBOX
> output will show message counts regardless of flags
A03 logout

If messages are not visible in imap, create test instance of hmailserver on different machine, copy user data to that machine and run directory sync there. check and copy messages back to live instance. You will waste 350 MB of space, but messages will be recovered without unpredicable impact on live service.