Fast sending, Slow moving.

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
TClancey
Normal user
Normal user

Fast sending, Slow moving.

Post by TClancey » 2012-11-10 03:01

Hi, I'm having a problem with my HMailServer installation. It's on a Decent Dell Workstation, (sbs2003) using a MySql server on the same machine. It's only a small network with very few mails sent, 1g cards and switch.

Sending mail seems to be very quick, but moving mail with attachments takes ages, 5 minutes to move a 3mb email. I have tried Thunderbird, got very annoyed with it and uninstalled it. Now using Windows Mail and having the same problem.

Are there any setup points I've missed?

Cheers.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Fast sending, Slow moving.

Post by dzekas » 2012-11-10 09:25

TClancey wrote:Hi, I'm having a problem with my HMailServer installation. It's on a Decent Dell Workstation, (sbs2003) using a MySql server on the same machine. It's only a small network with very few mails sent, 1g cards and switch.

Sending mail seems to be very quick, but moving mail with attachments takes ages, 5 minutes to move a 3mb email. I have tried Thunderbird, got very annoyed with it and uninstalled it. Now using Windows Mail and having the same problem.

Are there any setup points I've missed?

Cheers.
Which email account type are you using? POP3 or IMAP?

TClancey
Normal user
Normal user

Post by TClancey » 2012-11-12 21:42

Hi there, IMAP, nothing else setup, only one domain and currently while testing only one user, incoming or outgoing. I'm more than prepared (hoping) that this isn't an issue with hmail, but I kind of know what I'm doing and can't find any reason for the server to slow down just for these activities.

I've gone through all the thread information I can find and as far as I can see set them up best for this test environment.

The server isn't at all bogged down with traffic as it's within my test environment. I don't see any cpu or network saw toothing, just very low network untilisation when email with attachments are being stored away.

:os

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2012-11-12 22:09

IMAP "move" operation is "copy and delete". It is not as atomic as file system move command. Are you sure that you don't have antivirus set to scan email server's data directory? email file copy should not take long and it can be slowed by antivirus intercepting IO to scan file.

If you have issues with slow mysql commands, mysql can log them in slow commands log.

TClancey
Normal user
Normal user

Post by TClancey » 2012-11-12 22:31

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thinking along the Anti Virus route the other night I turned off all scanning of the hmailserver folders without any noticeable difference and I know the MySql installation is good as I use this primarily for all my system development. I am a bit stumped at the moment but will continue to test and will update here as and if I find anything, although I'm very new to hmail. Ideas on anything else to test would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

TClancey
Normal user
Normal user

Post by TClancey » 2013-01-10 14:49

Just catching up on housekeeping.

This was solved in the end, although I am not 100% sure of the problem.

I suspect it to be, as suggested, an anti virus problem. After disabling AV on the data directory structure I noticed no difference in performance, however I don't have the slow problem now and believe that the issue was resolved after a sever shutdown. So it may be that the AV service needed to be restarted for the change to take effect. Sounds odd to me too, but I can't put it down to anything else at the moment.

Cheers.