Account locked - again & again

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Nime
Normal user
Normal user

Account locked - again & again

Post by Nime » 2012-11-09 17:05

One of the user complains about locked account. He uses mobile devices & desktop and I discovered his network connection is not stable.

That user calls me at every lock and complains about our servers, etc. -because previous mail server software hasn't a lock feature and he had no issues-

How does lock mechanism work? QUIT command unlocks the account? Isn't there any timeout to unlock his account? Or what can I do?

Thanks.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Account locked - again & again

Post by ^DooM^ » 2012-11-09 17:52

RFC's state only 1 connection per account is allowed when using the POP3 Protocol. If the user has multiple devices connecting to the same account he must use IMAP.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-11-09 20:26

As DooM said IMAP is best option for shared access of a box but there are also work-arounds if IMAP is not possible/desired. One trick I use is a 'mirror' box. Say you have bob@yourdomain.com. You create a box like bob2@yourdomain or bobmobile@ etc. Then you setup a forward & keep copy on bob to bob2. Now you can 2 boxes that get all emails, just make sure you setup the LOGIN as bob2 but have the from email & replyto set as bob so it looks like they are sending from the real box & not the mirror one. Another trick would be to adjust the POP timeout in the hmailserver INI file to something lower so you're less likely to need to wait for the timeout. Granted hmail uses RFC recommended timeout but IMO for POP where there is no public use it should be up to the admin. Just don't complain if you have issues. ;) Or of course it is safe to just ignore the already locked errors & set your clients to check less frequently as they don't really hurt anything.. They are more of a notice saying 'hey the box is busy right now come back later'. :)
Bill
Ps. Yes once client sends QUIT the box is unlocked. What we see sometimes is bad client or poor connection means QUIT never makes it so then a timeout is needed before it gets unlocked which by default is like 1/2 hr. That's why the INI setting for POP timeout might be a good option if you can't do IMAP.
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

Nime
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Nime » 2012-11-09 22:58

Thanks for the replies and I found this link http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... ut#p140240

Same here, the user uses Apple products, that's what I guessed and adviced him to turn off the devices and test the connectivity.

DavidB
Normal user
Normal user

Post by DavidB » 2012-11-21 03:01

I can confirm this behaviour, all of my customers with apple devices get mailbox locked messages when checked the emails on say outlook. Swapping the Apple devices to IMAP fixes the problem 100% of the time.
Never had the problem with android devices though.

Suggestion: POP on PC/Laptop, keep on server for 7 days, IMAP on iPhone/iPad Works every time for me.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-11-21 05:00

DavidB wrote:I can confirm this behaviour, all of my customers with apple devices get mailbox locked messages when checked the emails on say outlook. Swapping the Apple devices to IMAP fixes the problem 100% of the time.
Never had the problem with android devices though.

Suggestion: POP on PC/Laptop, keep on server for 7 days, IMAP on iPhone/iPad Works every time for me.
Sounds like Apple isn't properly QUIT'ing which is against RFC's. While one could set the pop timeout to a shorter time (against rfc's as well) in reality it's unsafe to assume client is done without a proper QUIT.

That being said I've done extensive testing & have many clients who use iCrap and have had maybe 1 or 2 cases of locked boxes IN TWO YEARS. So it makes me wonder what the differentiating factor is since it's certainly not POP vs IMAP. (Understand though that POP spec has locking mechanism & IMAP doesn't so that obviously means POP is AT RISK of stuck-lock but doesn't explain why only some users have issues & MANY others do not)

In the end anyone with unreliable connection (especially mobile) or who run into these locking issues should highly consider using IMAP.
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***