Post subject: E-mail Drop Folder for Sharepoint
PostPosted: 2012-11-08 00:13 
Normal user

Salvete! I have two servers - one hosts Sharepoint and Active Directory, the other hosts hMailServer. I want to configure Sharepoint to receive incoming email. In the sharepoint settings (SCA), I can point to an "Email Drop Folder" where sharepoint will pick up its incoming mail.

Each sharepoint library can have its own email address.

Now, do I configure sharepoint to look in hmailserver's data folder for email? I suppose that I have to create an email account in hmailserver for each sharepoint-email-enabled library, no?

Or can I configure hmailserver to deliver its email to a folder on sharepoint's server?

Has anyone ever done this?

Post subject: Re: E-mail Drop Folder for Sharepoint
PostPosted: 2012-11-08 01:50 

brother.gabriel wrote:
Now, do I configure sharepoint to look in hmailserver's data folder for email? I suppose that I have to create an email account in hmailserver for each sharepoint-email-enabled library, no?

No don't do that. That will confuse hMailserver and make it fail. It will probably also overload sharepoint and make it fail too.
brother.gabriel wrote:
Or can I configure hmailserver to deliver its email to a folder on sharepoint's server?

You can create a script that saves a copy of a message in a known location.
brother.gabriel wrote:
Has anyone ever done this?

Yes, I have.

If hMailserver and sharepoint are on separate machines, you could also setup IIS SMTP to handle the pickup and drop

PostPosted: 2012-11-08 03:17 
Normal user

Thanks, Matt.

I found these, which are very pertinent, and seem very good - AND by folks who are actually using hMailServer with Sharepoint! Imagine finding a tutorial like that!

http://johanolivier.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -mail.html
http://weblogs.asp.net/wesleybakker/arc ... point.aspx

I'm going to take a good try here and I'll let y'all know how it goes.

PostPosted: 2012-11-08 03:42 
Normal user

Okay, having looked at those pages, I have some questions.

First, I am already using my domain for email, and my sharepoint portal uses the same domain.
Say, my email address is [email protected]
And my portal is at [email protected]

I have already set up Sharepoint (on my other server) to use hMailserver for SMTP (by configuring the other server's iis6). That works.

Now, Sharepoint is pointed at a drop folder on its own server.f
DNS routes all mail to hMailServer.

Also, Sharepoint can have LOTS of email addresses. How can I make sure they all work? Do I have to create an account for each one in order to receive the mail from the outside world?

Also, if hMailserver drops its mail into the drop folder, how does Sharepoint know which messages are for which list? Can it tell from the addressing? If I dropped ALL mail into the dropfolder, would Sharepoint just pick out the messages that were pertinent to its configured lists?

From one of the links I posted above, there is a script for adding the appropriate headers, and for copying messages to the drop folder. However, my drop folder is on the other server. How do I authenticate that?

Here is the script for delivery to the drop folder:

Code:
Sub OnDeliverMessage(oMessage)
        Dim path, filename, fso, original, copy

path = Split(oMessage.Filename, "\", -1, 1)

filename = "C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Data\development.com\dropfolder\" & _
           path(UBound(path))

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set copy = fso.CreateTextFile(filename, True)
        copy.WriteLine("x-sender: " & oMessage.FromAddress)
        copy.WriteLine("x-receiver: " & oMessage.To)

Set original = fso.OpenTextFile(oMessage.Filename, 1)
        copy.WriteLine(original.ReadAll)

copy.Close
    original.Close
End Sub

PostPosted: 2012-11-08 03:56 
Normal user

I suppose that if I prepend all my sharepoint list email addresses with "portal_" then I could, in the hMailServer script, parse the addresses and only copy to the drop folder those messages with the prefix.

PostPosted: 2012-11-08 04:38 

yes, that's the approach I'd use in your circumstances...

I actually created a new local only domain for my sharepoint, which then only allowed emails from local authenticated users (because no-one else could find it :) )

PostPosted: 2012-11-08 04:55 
Normal user

I would do that, except that not all the users are local.

PostPosted: 2012-11-08 05:04 
Normal user

Now, if I have many sharepoint lists, that means I have to create an account for each list, right? Is there a workaround?

PostPosted: 2012-11-08 06:37 

no I don't think there is a workaround

I think you need an account each list - certainly in sharepoint you do.
perhaps in hmailserver you could use + addressing, I'm not certain though

PostPosted: 2012-11-08 17:01 
Normal user

Okay, I got hmailserver to copy mail to a temp folder based on the prefix of the address, so if the TO address contains "portal_" at its start, hms will copy the mail to the temp folder.

Now, I have a function that copies that message to sharepoint's drop folder on the other server. Problem is, that the function fails. If I put the copy-file function in its own vbs file and run it by double clicking on the file, it works. But if I call the function from within the hms eventhandler script, it fails - that is, it says it can't find the destination folder. But the very same function works perfectly if not called from hmailserver.

Is there something I am missing?

PostPosted: 2012-11-08 17:51 
Normal user

Now, hmailserver is running on the local system account. Maybe that account doesn't have rights to run wscript shell objects from vbs files? If I run the vbs myself it works, but I am admin. That is the only thing I can think of that could be the problem.

Problem is that hmailserver NEEDS to run on the system account - that is, it needs to run even if nobody is logged in. How can I give rights to just hmailserver to run shell commands?

PostPosted: 2012-11-08 23:43 
Normal user

Okay, now I finally got it to copy the messages to the Sharepoint drop folder (I had to use the script to map the drive to a share folder - I wish I didn't have to do that, but it seems to work).

Now I can see the messages getting delivered, and after a few moments, Sharepoint removes them from the drop folder. (next problem is, why don't they go into the list..., but that is no longer an hMailServer issue, so my thread ends here.)

By the way, here is my code for copying the messages to the other machine:

Code:
   function CopyFileToRemoteMachine(whatMachine, whatUsername, whatPassword, whatSourceFile, whatDestination)
      dim errormessage, mdrive
      errormessage    = "File successfully copied"

mdrive = "N:"

Dim objFSO, objNetwork
      Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
      Set objNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

If not objFSO.FileExists(mdrive)  Then
         objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive mdrive, whatDestination, False, whatUsername, whatPassword
      End If

If Right(whatDestination, 1) <> "\" Then
           whatDestination = whatDestination & "\"
      End If
      If objFSO.FileExists(whatSourceFile) Then
           If objFSO.FolderExists(whatDestination) Then
            objFSO.CopyFile whatSourceFile, whatDestination, True
           Else
               errormessage = "Destination does not exist: " & whatDestination
           End If
      Else
           errormessage = "Source file does not exist: " & whatSourceFile
      End If

objNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive mdrive,TRUE,TRUE

set objFSO = nothing
      set objNetwork = nothing

CopyFileToRemoteMachine = errormessage
   end function

PostPosted: 2012-11-09 00:46 
Normal user

If anyone is still following this thread, I have an extensive post here dealing with Sharepoint issues.

PostPosted: 2012-11-09 01:39 

I am pretty sure that on a separate server that I used IIS SMTP to receive the mails for sharepoint, which then put them in the default IIS SMTP drop folder, which sharepoint then picked up. I set a route in hMailserver to point to the IP address of that other server.

You are correct above in your assessment of why the save to network folder didn't work - it is the user that hMailserver runs under. Mapping the network path every time the script is run is an interesting but valid solution. Alternately you could have changed the user to one that already has the network path mapped.

Good work, thanks for the followup and the detailed set of steps.

PostPosted: 2012-11-09 05:02 
Normal user

Matt, thanks for the thanks! I really like hMailServer, and am pleased to contribute! I am also pleased that there be folks here to read my rants and keep me going.

Now, I'd rather not have to map the server (and unmap it) for every email, and would rather use a different user account. Problem is that hMailServer needs to run as a service when noone is logged on.
Quote:
I used IIS SMTP to receive the mails for sharepoint

I don't understand that - SMTP is just for sending mail, no? I do understand that I need the iis6 "virtual server" in order for sharepoint to send mail using hMailserver SMTP (at least, that's how I've gotten it to work).

However, that SMTP drop folder (in inetpug/mail) is exactly where my script is dumping the Sharepoint mail.

Quote:
I set a route in hMailserver to point to the IP address of that other server.

Matt, could you explain that a little for me?

By the way, to be truly complete, here is my function for sifting for sharepoint-mail.
If I make all the sharepoint-destined mail to be prepended with "portal_" then I have a way to send ONLY sharepoint-destined mail to the dropfolder for transfer.
In this example, I copy the messages to a folder outside hMailserver's data folder, and then transfer it to the other server using the function I showed in the previous post.

Code:
sub CopyMessageToSharepointDropFolder(oMessage)
   'x-sender and x-receiver are necessary for sharepoint
   'see also http://weblogs.asp.net/wesleybakker/archive/2010/08/09/configure-hmailserver-for-sharepoint.aspx

dim SPdropfolder
   dim SPprefix
   SPdropfolder = "c:\hMailServer\sharepointDropFolder\"
   SPprefix = "portal_"
   '------------------------
   dim SPprefixLen, toaddress
   SPprefixLen= len(SPprefix)
   toaddress = oMessage.To
   if left(toaddress, SPprefixLen) = SPprefix Then
      write_log ("  Copying mail to Sharepoint Drop Folder")

Dim path, mailfilename, fso, original, mailfile
      mailfilename = SPdropfolder & path(UBound(path))

Set mailfile = fso.CreateTextFile(mailfilename, True)
         mailfile.WriteLine("x-sender: " & oMessage.FromAddress)
         mailfile.WriteLine("x-receiver: " & oMessage.To)
         mailfile.WriteLine(original.ReadAll)     
      mailfile.Close
      original.Close   

dim SPcopyMessage
      SPcopyMessage = CopyFileToRemoteMachine("SERVER", "domain\hMailServer", "password", mailfilename, "\\SERVER\portalmail\drop")
      write_log("   Sharepoint Drop Message Status: " & SPcopyMessage)
   End If

end sub

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 16:07 
New user
New user

I have set up Sharepoint 2010 and want to use the incoming email feature. I think I'll have to use hmailserver and this script. I can't have emails routing to this host smtp server since it's inside our internal network. Is there any way for hmailserver to pick up remote pop3/imap emails?

I was almost thinking of writing a powershell script to grab emails on a remote server and save them in the c:\inetpub\mailroot\drop folder.. but I don't know the structure for that folder. I know powershell has pop3 and imap (mapi?) commands...

is anyone still watching this thread?

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 17:19 
Normal user

JR, don't worry, there are actually several folks always watching the forums here!

We have both sharepoint and hmailserver running behind our primary firewall. The firewall allows for mail traffic to pass, and uses NAT.

For my configuration, I have hmailserver put messages in a network folder. Then I configure Sharepoint to look there as well. I don't think it has to even be in c:\inetpub - as long as you instruct sharepoint where to look.

hMailserver, in the Accounts section, where you create email addresses, has a tab for "External accounts" - where you can instruct the account to download POP3 mail from an external mail server (say, gmail). Maybe this is what you want?

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 17:52 
New user
New user

brother.gabriel wrote:
J...
For my configuration, I have hmailserver put messages in a network folder. Then I configure Sharepoint to look there as well. I don't think it has to even be in c:\inetpub - as long as you instruct sharepoint where to look.

hMailserver, in the Accounts section, where you create email addresses, has a tab for "External accounts" - where you can instruct the account to download POP3 mail from an external mail server (say, gmail). Maybe this is what you want?

sounds great! so I can have my hmailserver pick up pop email and then spit it out to a directory that sharepoint can use?
So you have sharepoint using hmailserver (and the export script?) for incoming email?

thanks again,

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 18:40 
Normal user

Check out my script above - it has a place where you can specify the path to drop mail.

I created a separate subdomain for my sharepoint mail, that way I know that any mail coming into that domain is destined for sharepoint - this way I don't have to filter it, I only have to move it.

Here are a few interesting links for you from Sharepoint Stack Exchange:
http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/que ... local-smtp
http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/que ... int-server

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 19:27 
New user
New user

brother.gabriel wrote:
I created a separate subdomain for my sharepoint mail, that way I know that any mail coming into that domain is destined for sharepoint - this way I don't have to filter it, I only have to move it.

so if we use gmail for our domain, we can easily tack on a subdomain for sharepoint? that's a great idea. thanks again

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 20:21 
New user
New user

this is what i've done so far
1) installed hmailserver (had to use mysql .. it wouldnt' see my sql 2012 instance)
2) added domain of sharepoint.mydomain.com
3) looked at the thread to find the last script.. how do i add that? just copy and paste the sub copymessagetosharepointdropfolder to the eventhandler.vbs?

i have sharepoint all set to go to a certain folder.. so i'll update the script once i figure where it goes

also where do i set up the pop3 pick up?

thanks again,
Jeremy

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 20:22 
New user
New user

oops. i missed this:
hMailserver, in the Accounts section, where you create email addresses, has a tab for "External accounts" - where you can instruct the account to download POP3 mail from an external mail server (say, gmail).

- yes i want hmailserver to pick up pop email and bring it in :)

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 20:47 
New user
New user

So what calls this sub ? (sub CopyMessageToSharepointDropFolder(oMessage))
another sub already in the eventhandlers.vbs ?

actually i think it's Sub OnExternalAccountDownload(oMessage, sRemoteUID)
i forget how to call a sub :)

maybe i uncomment that sub and put in it
CopyMessageToSharepointDropFolder oMessage

I'm getting closer..
"ERROR" 1168 "2013-06-07 14:53:26.531" "Script Error: Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error - Error: 800A01C2 - Description: Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment: 'OnExternalAccountDownload' - Line: 64 Column: 0 - Code: (null)"

Last edited by jrb2971 on 2013-06-07 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 20:56 
Normal user

You have to use the Sub OnDeliverMessage(oMessage) sub toward the top of the thread. This will read the incoming messages and add the x headers for sharepoint to be able to pick them up.

Whenever a message arrives for the specified domain, it gets moved into the folder you specify in the parameters.

Here is the code I am using in my own events.vbs file.

You have to specify the subdomains for your email in hMailServer. I suppose you would create the subdomain and it would only be local to your LAN, and the account there would fetch external mail. I've not tried that, but I can see how it might work.

Code:

'This is the function at the head of the script.
Sub OnDeliverMessage(oMessage)
   write_log (d1 & " OnDeliverMessage Event " & d1)
   write_log (s1 & "Message Delivered")
   CopyMessageToSharepointDropFolder(oMessage)
End Sub

'---------------Deliver mail to Sharepoint Drop Folder--------------------------------
'I put this part at the very end of my script
'Wednesday, November 07, 2012
sub CopyMessageToSharepointDropFolder(oMessage)
   'In this state, it copies ALL incoming mail to the dropfolder and prepends the two headers
   'x-sender and x-receiver are necessary for sharepoint
   'see also http://weblogs.asp.net/wesleybakker/archive/2010/08/09/configure-hmailserver-for-sharepoint.aspx

dim SPdropfolder
   dim SPpostfix
   SPdropfolder = "c:\hMailServer\sharepointDropFolder\"
   SPpostfix = "sub.domain.com"     '<====THIS IS THE SUBDOMAIN FOR THE EMAIL ADDRESSES YOU USE FOR SHAREPOINT
   '------------------------
   dim SPprefixLen, toaddress, SPpostfixLen
   SPpostfixLen= len(SPpostfix)
   toaddress = oMessage.To
   if right(toaddress, SPpostfixLen) = SPpostfix Then
      write_log ("  Copying mail to Sharepoint Drop Folder")

Dim path, mailfilename, fso, original, mailfile
      mailfilename = SPdropfolder & path(UBound(path))

Set mailfile = fso.CreateTextFile(mailfilename, True)
         mailfile.WriteLine("x-sender: " & oMessage.FromAddress)
         mailfile.WriteLine("x-receiver: " & oMessage.To)
         mailfile.WriteLine(original.ReadAll)     
      mailfile.Close
      original.Close   

dim SPcopyMessage
      SPcopyMessage = CopyFileToRemoteMachine("MYSERVER", "mydomain\hMailServerLoginAccount", "password", mailfilename, "\\someserver\portalmail\drop")
      write_log("   Sharepoint Drop Message Status: " & SPcopyMessage)
   End If

end sub
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Deliver mail for Sharepoint Drop Off
function CopyFileToRemoteMachine(whatMachine, whatUsername, whatPassword, whatSourceFile, whatDestination)
   dim errormessage, mdrive
   errormessage    = "Sharepoint Mail Delivered"

mdrive = "N:"

Dim objFSO, objNetwork
   Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
   Set objNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

If not objFSO.FileExists(mdrive)  Then
      objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive mdrive, whatDestination, False, whatUsername, whatPassword
   End If

If Right(whatDestination, 1) <> "\" Then
        whatDestination = whatDestination & "\"
   End If   
   If objFSO.FileExists(whatSourceFile) Then
        If objFSO.FolderExists(whatDestination) Then 
         objFSO.CopyFile whatSourceFile, whatDestination, True
        Else
            errormessage = "Destination does not exist: " & whatDestination
        End If
   Else
        errormessage = "Source file does not exist: " & whatSourceFile
   End If

objNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive mdrive,TRUE,TRUE

set objFSO = nothing
   set objNetwork = nothing

CopyFileToRemoteMachine = errormessage
end function

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 20:58 
New user
New user

brother.gabriel wrote:
You have to use the Sub OnDeliverMessage(oMessage) sub toward the top of the thread. This will read the incoming messages and add the x headers for sharepoint to be able to pick them up.

Whenever a message arrives for the specified domain, it gets moved into the folder you specify in the parameters.

will this event work for emails pulled from external pop ? i'll give both a try
thanks

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 21:11 
Normal user

Sorry, never mind the top of the thread - I posted it in the last code.

Quote:
will this event work for emails pulled from external pop ? i'll give both a try

Ha ha, I don't know! I'd be interested to find out!

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 21:19 
New user
New user

"ERROR" 6428 "2013-06-07 15:17:17.809" "Script Error: Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error - Error: 800A000D - Description: Type mismatch: 'write_log' - Line: 27 Column: 3 - Code: (null)"

line 27: write_log (d1 & " OnDeliverMessage Event " & d1)

do you know what d1 and s1 are?

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 21:36 
Normal user

Oh - write_log is a function in my script; d1 is some parameter. Just remove the write_log calls.

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 21:46 
New user
New user

brother.gabriel wrote:
Oh - write_log is a function in my script; d1 is some parameter. Just remove the write_log calls.

care to share your write log script? where does it go to ?
C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Logs ?

ps.. i got it working for that remote pickup function. thanks

PostPosted: 2013-06-07 22:21 
Normal user

Weeeelll,

The write_log function is part of the list-server script that I sort of have been working on. You are welcome to fish it out! I would have posted it, but then you have to figure out a few other things to go with it. If you want to use it, it would be better for you to see the entire script and how it works, then you can decide what you want to do (if you want to do it...)

Here is the package with the script,
And here is the Online Documentation