Cannot Telent to localhost TCP port 143 of hMailServer

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
carywinton
New user
New user

Cannot Telent to localhost TCP port 143 of hMailServer

Post by carywinton » 2012-07-25 05:40

I have the service checked in hMailServer Administrator and I am unable to telnet to TCP port 143. If anyone hasany suggestions on this I would appreciate the help. This is a Windows 2003 Server R2 with SP2, port 25 and port 110 on the hMailServer work fine, mail from email clients works fine. DNS for hMailserver resolves for mail domain. Just IMAP port 143 does not. POP3 and SMTP work fine. :?:

Caspar
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Cannot Telent to localhost TCP port 143 of hMailServer

Post by Caspar » 2012-07-25 08:49

Check your firewall, also you might want to see with netstat -a -b -n. if someone shows up as listening to 143 see what process it is and try to figure out why it is that the port is used. If it's hmailserver check the firewall. Also make sure that the port is enabled on hmailserver.

Also: What version of hmailserver do you use? Do you have this behind a NAT router, or is it directly connected (public IP) to the internet?
If you have strange problems or errors use the log analyzer! http://log.damnation.org.uk
Join us on IRC! http://hmailserver.com/irc_fullscreen.php

carywinton
New user
New user

Post by carywinton » 2012-07-25 11:32

Caspar,
Q: Check your firewall, also you might want to see with netstat -a -b -n. if someone shows up as listening to 143 see what process it is and try to figure out why it is that the port is used. If it's hmailserver check the firewall. Also make sure that the port is enabled on hmailserver.
A:On my Netvanta 24 Port switch I have and ACL created to allow TCP/143 any any, so that is open.
Netstat -an revealed port 143 is active and "listening" on the proper IP address the dedicated servwer with static IP is on. The Server is located in the DMZ so there is no NAT.
In hMailServer Administrator if I change the IP in Advanced ->TCP/IP Ports ->IMAP I can change the IP address from the static one for the server to 127.0.0.1 and I am able to telnet to localhost on port 143, but an still unable to telent the correct IP for the server or by name. (example: webmail.yourdomain.com), So at least I have been able to get localhost to work now. I just have to figure out what setting or config file change I need to make to have it work for the correct IP and host name. As I have it all set up in DNS to resolve to.
Q:Also: What version of hmailserver do you use? Do you have this behind a NAT router, or is it directly connected (public IP) to the internet?
A: hMailServer 5.3.3 - Build 1879, no NAT, Server is in DMZ.
The Server is Windows 2003 R2 SP2, MySQL5, PHP5.3.3, IIS6.0,RoundCube Webmail 0.7.2, thus far that is.
Thanks for the help on this, I have been on this project now for nearly 6 days straight and I am going to rest some for a few hours. Our entire network, about 40k of hardware on (2) T1's decided to give hMailServer a try over the previous email server we had been using, for only 25 or so users and 2-3 domains it was no longer cost effective to keep with Imail.

Caspar
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Caspar » 2012-07-25 11:43

Is there a firewall on the server itself? if so, try to see if it might be blocked over there. also is the PID the same PID as the hmailserver process?
If you have strange problems or errors use the log analyzer! http://log.damnation.org.uk
Join us on IRC! http://hmailserver.com/irc_fullscreen.php

mattg

Post by mattg » 2012-07-25 12:16

Also, did you enable IMAP in hMailserver? It is off by default
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

carywinton
New user
New user

Post by carywinton » 2012-07-25 21:14

@Caspar There is no firewall on the server itself and IP Filtering is not enabled. The PID is the same viewing netstat -ao process is shown as 1319 there and in taskmanager. I also noted the process ID using some odd ports 1189 and 1190, I am asuming these must be for the WebAdmin that I now have working for hMailServer?

@Mattg Yes the check boxs under hMailServer Administrator ->Protocols are checked in all three services boxes. SMTP,POP3 and IMAP respectively.

Thank you both for trying to assist me with this and for your suggestions, there just has to be something here I must have missed thaty is causing this, I hope, :roll:

mattg

Post by mattg » 2012-07-26 02:48

Can you please detail what all of the settings are in the TCP/IP ranges page in hMailserver
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

carywinton
New user
New user

Post by carywinton » 2012-07-26 03:26

@mattg,
Q: Can you please detail what all of the settings are in the TCP/IP ranges page in hMailserver

A: sure Mattg, this is what I have there, My Computer (Lower IP) 127.0.0.1 (Upper IP) 127.0.0.1 (Priority) 15
Internet (Lower IP) 173.190.116.1 (Upper IP) 173.190.116.10 (Priority) 10

I have more static IPs than this range, but I figured that was a good enough for now, the rest of the range is not in use yet.
Thanks mattg, good idea to look here, if there is some additional range I should put or changes I should make, please let me know. :mrgreen:

mattg

Post by mattg » 2012-07-26 04:39

there is a default button on that page - please press it and try to connect again via telnet...

(The internet range is wrong)

Also, what is the IP of your web mail server? is it the same machine, or a different machine?

carywinton
New user
New user

Post by carywinton » 2012-07-26 05:10

@Mattg
Q:
there is a default button on that page - please press it and try to connect again via telnet...

(The internet range is wrong)
A:
Mattg, hitting the default button and allowing it to change the Internet range to 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255 and then setting the correct TCP/IP for the IMAP protocol back to the correct IP for the adapter 173.190.116.4 and I was able to telent to IMAP on 143 and get a connection. Also RoundCube worked as well, naturally.
Q:
Also, what is the IP of your web mail server? is it the same machine, or a different machine?
A:
The web mail server is on the same machine with an IP of 173.190.116.4, but it is only being used for hMailServer and Roundcube, all other web sites are handled on another machine and IP address. 8)

Again thank you very much for your help on this and yes a donation will be made to HmailServer through my PayPal Merchant account, Kudos~

mattg

Post by mattg » 2012-07-26 05:55

carywinton wrote:....change the Internet range to 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255 and then setting the correct TCP/IP for the IMAP protocol back to the correct IP for the adapter 173.190.116.4
You need an internet range of 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255 or you won't receive any mail from external addresses.

Also the mycomputer IPRange should have a priority of 25 if you have webmail installed on it, and autoban turned on.

And finally, the donate bit doesn't work. Martin says that for him it is too much effort to declare taxes etc.
Make a donation to your favourite charity instead if you feel obliged to make a donation - otherwise we're happy to help.

Matt

carywinton
New user
New user

Post by carywinton » 2012-07-26 06:24

@Mattg
You need an internet range of 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255 or you won't receive any mail from external addresses.
Absolutely right, won't route without it, forgot about that little detail, up too many hours I think then.

Also the mycomputer IPRange should have a priority of 25 if you have webmail installed on it, and autoban turned on.

Ok I will make the Priority change and yes "autoban" is currently on.

And finally, the donate bit doesn't work. Martin says that for him it is too much effort to declare taxes etc.
Make a donation to your favourite charity instead if you feel obliged to make a donation - otherwise we're happy to help.

Yep I actually tried and the link goes nowhere, so I can try and donate my time to helping someone else on here and I donate a great deal to many charities as it is.