port 25 intermittently working by connection

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Pern
Normal user
Normal user

port 25 intermittently working by connection

Post by Pern » 2011-01-12 23:56

ive tried to use outlook from my home machine/connection to hmailsever located in a different state, on a box with
windows xp and hmailserver setup now when i try and connect from home i can with outlook and i can receive/send fine.

do this with some randomly works some done(ones that do not work do not work and ones that work work, by connection)

checking with the diagnostic with in hmailserver DOES NOT work for port 25

we have checked the firewall and the router, from a professional IT guy and nothing is wrong there.
as i said some connections work some dont, i have even tried to telnet to port 25 and nothing different, bare in mind we have a webserver hooked up with xxamp and it works fine allthe time and from same computers as well as ping works fine too and hammachi and logmein works fine on same connections, port 25 access does not.

basically port 25 is randomly working for random each/by connection.

any ideas on how to fix this or at min troubleshoot it? anyone else have this problem?
im using version 5.3.3-1846 of hmailserver, just didnt see anything in the last update(s) i needed right way
Johnny - aka Pern

mattg

Re: port 25 intermittently working by connection

Post by mattg » 2011-01-13 00:29

Pern wrote:checking with the diagnostic with in hmailserver DOES NOT work for port 25
This test checks outbound port 25 connections.
If it fails, this is likely done by your ISP.

Please post the full hmailserver diagnostics
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Pern
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Pern » 2011-01-13 00:41

Test: Collect server details
hMailServer version: hMailServer 5.3.3-B1846
Database type: MySQL

Test: Test IPv6
IPv6 support is not available in operating system.

Test: Test outbound port
SMTP relayer not in use. Attempting mail.hmailserver.com:25
Trying to connect to host mail.hmailserver.com...
Trying to connect to TCP/IP address 83.169.11.240 on port 25.
Connected successfully.

Test: Test MX records
Trying to resolve MX records for familiesinchrist.org...
Host name found: mail.familiesinchrist.org

Test: Test local connect
Connecting to TCP/IP address in MX records for local domain domain familiesinchrist.org...
Trying to connect to host mail.familiesinchrist.org...
Trying to connect to TCP/IP address 74.94.140.205 on port 25.
ERROR: It was not possible to connect.
ERROR: Was not able to open connection.
Johnny - aka Pern

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-01-13 01:37

That set of diagnostics shows port 25 is open.
The errors shown aren't fatal errors, and is likely because your modem doesn't support loopback (many 'home' modems don't support loopback)

That should work OK.

If your hmailserver diagnostics does show at times that the port 25 test fails then you should see your ISP.

It is also possible that the ISP through which the mail client connected was blocking port 25 back to your server.
The way around this is to additionally add another port in hMailserver for SMTP, say 1025. Allow this port through firewalls and routers, and then use this port to connect back to your hmailserver from your mail client when you are using non-mail friendly ISP on the mail client computer.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

Pern
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Pern » 2011-01-13 01:45

sorry your not understanding the problem

SOME connections work fine, like here at my home and some dont work its intermittently working for random connections.

let me see if i can clarify this
1: my home connection works fine ALL the time
2: telnet or outlook from my fathers computer location is 50 miles from the email server does not work at all, and has not worked it does work for first outlook check the second when a email sent is checked it does not work, and Telnet to familiesinchirst.org 25 does not work

this server is at a IT company, and there are no router(modem) or firewall problems at all. and the web servers work fine too.
some port checkers work fine from external web sites some dont, ill try and find a non working one and a working one to show you if need be.

try it yourself and tell me what you get(see the diagnostic report for the telnet info)

at this time we can not send email from the server with all people, as the connections are random in if they connect or not

any ideas? and hopefully this clarify's it some

thx for the help so far
Johnny - aka Pern

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-01-13 02:17

Pern wrote:2: telnet or outlook from my fathers computer location is 50 miles from the email server does not work at all, and has not worked it does work for first outlook check the second when a email sent is checked it does not work, and Telnet to familiesinchirst.org 25 does not work
mattg wrote:It is also possible that the ISP through which the mail client connected was blocking port 25 back to your server.
The way around this is to additionally add another port in hMailserver for SMTP, say 1025. Allow this port through firewalls and routers, and then use this port to connect back to your hmailserver from your mail client when you are using non-mail friendly ISP on the mail client computer.
I'm guessing that your fathers computer has port 25 blocked, possibly by his ISP. Try an additional alternate port for SMTP to your hMailserver.
Pern wrote:at this time we can not send email from the server with all people, as the connections are random in if they connect or not
SO this sentence is about sending to people on other networks? Is that correct? If so, please enable all logging, recreate the issue, wait 30 seconds and post the logs

Telnet and Outlook connections are about sending / receiving using your hMailserver.

Pern
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Pern » 2011-01-13 02:30

I'm guessing that your fathers computer has port 25 blocked, possibly by his ISP.
no because it works for telnet to my server(same hmailserver setup) at my home from his computer
i will try another port but i do not think that will solve the problem

and i dont know if its the correct terminology about sending emails its that port 25 is fubar

again the diagnostic program and some commuters/connections report its not working some do
Johnny - aka Pern

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-01-13 04:12

Pern wrote:
I'm guessing that your fathers computer has port 25 blocked, possibly by his ISP.
no because it works for telnet to my server(same hmailserver setup) at my home from his computer
When you telnet to your computer, do you telnet on port 25?

Pern
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Pern » 2011-01-13 04:15

im adding ports 587,2525 ill get back to you if this does not work, as i just got to my IT guy

and yes dos command (as admin) prompt>> telnet familiesisinchrist.org 25
and just an update im testing ports on 4 different port scanners too

will advise
Johnny - aka Pern

Pern
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Pern » 2011-01-13 04:50

i think i found something i use windows mail(as we have vista) and got an error of 10066 and found out thats blocked ports 25 and 587 from the isp side, im trying to open port 2525 now and see if that will fix the problem, but im relying on my IT guy and there slow.

thanks for the help but i think i found it. i will advise when i fix it
Johnny - aka Pern

Pern
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Pern » 2011-01-13 05:20

yes you where right it was isp blocking it duh im so stupid not to look for that.

thanks again
Problem solved
Johnny - aka Pern

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-01-13 05:29

Glad you got it sorted.
You aren't the first person (even in this conversation) to be caught out by that one. :D

Elina75
Banned

Post by Elina75 » 2011-01-13 16:55

Pern wrote:
i will try another port but i do not think that will solve the problem
It doesn't matter how many miles the computers away from each other, if they are in the same or different state, and if it's a computer at home or at some "IT guru's" home, what matters if they are inside the same ISP's network or not. ISP's typically allow TCP/25 connections to outside world only from known SMTP servers (their own, and trusted clients).

For the same reason it doens't tell much that the web-server is accessible from the computers, where SMTP is not. Or actually it confirms that the problem here is probably a blocked SMTP.

However, you state that SMTP randomly works from these computers and randomly not. Are you sure of this? Typically non-experts don't recognice the patterns properly, and things look "random" even if they are not. So please check if it really is a "random" problem, or if there is a pattern, where you can focus when hunting down the real problem.

As already suggested, easy way to check if SMTP is blocked, change the port to something which typically is never blocked. TCP/587 which often is used for Auth-SMTP, or for debugging maybe better use something like TCP/2525, some ISP's even block TCP/587 which is ridiculous, and done only to jealously prevent their own clients using other providers Auth-SMTP services.

EDIT: ok the problem was already solved.

BTW: when telnetting the host, the correct host is mail.familiesinchrist.org, as your MX record states. Perhaps the "familiesinchrist.org" points to the same address, as it seems. But in principle MX record tells the host name/address, not the domain name it self. Usually it's a good practice to leave the domain without an A record / IP address. Spammaers bombard both the MX hosts, as well as the domain names if they have an address.