Possible bug in IMAP public folder

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
irblue
New user
New user

Possible bug in IMAP public folder

Post by irblue » 2009-12-09 06:34

Hi,

I just experienced a problem with access permission in IMAP public folder.

Suppose PersonA is in both IMAP GroupA and GroupB.

A IMAP public folder assigned read only right for GroupA and full access right for GroupB.

If GroupA is insert before GroupB, PersonA will only have read only right in the folder.

If GroupB is insert before GroupA, PersonA will only have full access right in the folder.

To control the sequence of the items in the list, a delete and reinsert sometimes works and sometimes not.

Anyone seem this behavior?

Blue

martin
Developer
Developer

Re: Possible bug in IMAP public folder

Post by martin » 2009-12-09 18:42

I'll look into that.

irblue
New user
New user

Post by irblue » 2009-12-24 09:33

Dear Martin,

I noticed a fix has been added in 5.3.1 - Build 1739 :

•If a user was a part of two groups, and these two groups had conflicting permissions, it was not clear what permission was used. Now the first permission is used.

Thanks for the fix. However, instead of based on the precedence of the group, would it be more logical to allow the highest access right among the groups?

Blue

irblue
New user
New user

Post by irblue » 2010-01-04 05:00

Dear Martin,

I just tested beta 5.3.1-B1746, the precedence of the permission list is still out of control, in some folders, I had deleted all the user and group in the list and re-add it once again, but the new list will not follow the new sequence of the user/group added, it revert back to the previous sequence.

In common file/folder sharing access right, if a person belongs to multiple groups, he normally get the highest access right among the groups, not by the sequence.

Blue

irblue
New user
New user

Post by irblue » 2010-01-04 06:05

Playing with the beta the whole morning and still can't get it work as per the changelog.

I have folders with simple three groups in the permission list, the first two groups have full access right and the last group has only read only access right. A person in both three groups can't create sub-folder and get only read only right.

It seems the new fix is still not working as expected. :(

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2010-01-04 13:06

In common file/folder sharing access right, if a person belongs to multiple groups, he normally get the highest access right among the groups, not by the sequence.
I think in NTFS world deny always takes presidence over allow. e.g. if user or group is granted write access to a directory in one rule, but denied in another, then access is denied.

That said, I don't think this is how hMail is supposed to work (based on Martins post; I've never used this feature before so don't know 100%).

S.

irblue
New user
New user

Post by irblue » 2010-01-05 03:24

Dear Sheffters

The NTFS "allow" and "deny" example is not a good one for comparison with hmailserver. The IMAP public folder permission in hmailserver only have "allow", no "deny".

A better example will be a user in multiple NTFS groups with different file/folder "allow" permission, he will get the highest "allow" access permissions among the groups he belongs to, not according to the user/group precedence of the list.

Blue

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2010-01-05 12:21

Elo,

ah ok, never used it, was just one that came to mind ... might be worth a feature request to impliment it like NTFS or something? (i.e. a common method if implimenting permissions).

S.