"copy to user" as rule action

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.

do you want "copy to user" as rule action?

yes
63%
no
38%

Total votes: 8

yumanoid
New user
New user

"copy to user" as rule action

Post by yumanoid » 2013-06-14 17:37

i'm switching from mercury to hmail and i'm really missing this feature. i want to copy messages to other users in the same domain (or even across domains) as a rule action. this works well for me in mercury, as it's the best way to avoid all the looping problems when forwarding (currently the only option in hmailserver). copied message doesn't have to fly out through smtp and be received again, and thus avoids having the same rule applied to it multiple times.

thinking a bit more, maybe some might like "when a message is copied to" option for rule criteria, to complement this? as opposed to "when received from outside". does that make sense? i'm just thinking loud now :)

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: "copy to user" as rule action

Post by ^DooM^ » 2013-06-14 21:51

Use the forward rule properly and it will work correctly ;)

if recipient list not contains forward@recipient
forward to forward@recipient.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

mns17
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mns17 » 2013-06-16 06:11

Hi, all!
^DooM^ wrote:Use the forward rule properly and it will work correctly ;)

Copy is not forward.
When message is forwarding, original message deleted.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-06-16 07:08

mns17 wrote:Hi, all!
^DooM^ wrote:Use the forward rule properly and it will work correctly ;)

Copy is not forward.
Actually the 'forward' action should be phrased as 'forward a copy' because you must do a 'delete' action after if you don't want the original to be delivered. In other words in the case of hmail's rules, forward IS copy. Test it or read the docs:
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... rence_rule
Forward email - Forward the message to the specified address. The message will still be delivered to the original recipient
That's why you must put a 'delete message' action after the forward to do what we think of as a forward.

So to reduce confusion the wording of the option in hmail really should be changed. Like I said "forward a copy" would be pretty clear.
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2013-06-16 10:09

Thankyou for clarifying Bill,
mns17 wrote:Copy is not forward.
In this case forward is copy, please in future do some research before making assumptions.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

yumanoid
New user
New user

Post by yumanoid » 2013-06-17 11:32

this still doesn't have the beauty of "true copy" - just internal cloning of a message, without re-queuing. that re-queuing will still be necessary for forwarding to external boxes, but for internal boxes, the "true copy" would be much neater.

also, with the if recipientlist not contains mechanism, what normally fits in a single rule (if subject contains blahblah, forward to 3 addresses - single criterion, three actions) will now require three separate rules. because i can't combine AND+OR criteria within a single rule, or can i? from what i see i can only AND all the criteria in the list or OR all of them. but this is not such a big deal. maybe one day i'll try to write a vbscript to copy messages internally :)

mattg

Post by mattg » 2013-06-17 11:59

yep, you can always do that with scipts

PS I still can't see the beauty of a 'true copy'
The copy causing re-queuing allows rules and scripts to be run again
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

yumanoid
New user
New user

Post by yumanoid » 2013-06-17 12:10

mattg wrote:yep, you can always do that with scipts

PS I still can't see the beauty of a 'true copy'
The copy causing re-queuing allows rules and scripts to be run again
...which is exactly what i want to avoid in some cases :)

mns17
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mns17 » 2013-06-17 13:27

^DooM^ wrote:Thankyou for clarifying Bill,
In this case forward is copy, please in future do some research before making assumptions.
Actions
•Delete email - Select this rule to delete the email message. The message will be deleted after rule processing has finished.
•Forward email - Select this if you want to forward email to another recipient. It's possible to specify both local and external recipients.

:(

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-06-17 15:57

yumanoid wrote:this still doesn't have the beauty of "true copy" - just internal cloning of a message, without re-queuing. that re-queuing will still be necessary for forwarding to external boxes, but for internal boxes, the "true copy" would be much neater.

also, with the if recipientlist not contains mechanism, what normally fits in a single rule (if subject contains blahblah, forward to 3 addresses - single criterion, three actions) will now require three separate rules. because i can't combine AND+OR criteria within a single rule, or can i? from what i see i can only AND all the criteria in the list or OR all of them. but this is not such a big deal. maybe one day i'll try to write a vbscript to copy messages internally :)
Queue is what delivers the message..
What you're asking for then is an option to disable running rules vs some magical copy command.
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-06-17 16:01

mns17 wrote:
^DooM^ wrote:Thankyou for clarifying Bill,
Actions
•Delete email - Select this rule to delete the email message. The message will be deleted after rule processing has finished.
•Forward email - Select this if you want to forward email to another recipient. It's possible to specify both local and external recipients.

:(
Docs are a mess in some areas. Not sure why a couple sections of the rules docs are duplicated but forward definitely follows the lower section that says original is still delivered. It's been brought up a bunch of times why a delete is required to not have the original be delivered.
Bill