Limit the number of messages could be sincronysed by IMAP

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.

Do you want to limit th number of imap mesage synchronized ?

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes: 9

rodolfor
Senior user
Senior user

Limit the number of messages could be sincronysed by IMAP

Post by rodolfor » 2012-09-23 09:39

Hi all.
In some cases, imap account grow dramatically.
If the server is not local (but sometimes also if it is local) the time of a synchronization make slow al the pc.

Like in iphone (but in this case is the client), where I can select the number of most recent message synchronized,
I would like an option in hmail where specify the max number of most recent messages synchronized for each folder (i.e. 1000).

Thanks
Hmailserver [lastversion] + MSSQL

DavidB
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Limit the number of messages could be sincronysed by IMA

Post by DavidB » 2012-11-22 05:42

It's a nice idea, but i can see if it were added there would be a lot of end user confusion about "missing" messages, because they would need to remove messages before they could see older messages again on PC/Phone etc.

It would be easier to enforce quota's to reduce the number of stored messages to begin with, as most end user's at least understand the concept of space.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Limit the number of messages could be sincronysed by IMA

Post by dzekas » 2012-11-22 20:10

rodolfor wrote:Hi all.
In some cases, imap account grow dramatically.
If the server is not local (but sometimes also if it is local) the time of a synchronization make slow al the pc.

Like in iphone (but in this case is the client), where I can select the number of most recent message synchronized,
I would like an option in hmail where specify the max number of most recent messages synchronized for each folder (i.e. 1000).

Thanks
Sync is not one IMAP command. It is multiple IMAP commands and every command matches regular IMAP client activity. You are asking to limit number of commands allowed per one IMAP session or per IP address. It will knock out IMAP clients with persistent connections.