Headers being stripped out on bounces

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.
daviklock
New user
New user

Headers being stripped out on bounces

Post by daviklock » 2009-07-07 05:44

Not sure whether there is a workaround for this or not.
I have a product that inserts header keys on the e-mails that it sends out, but when they bounces these keys are stripped out.
Any chance we could have an option to allow full headers on the bounces?

martin
Developer
Developer

Re: Headers being stripped out on bounces

Post by martin » 2009-07-07 09:41

Why should the headers be included in the first place? The bounce message is a new message - it's not the same message as the user sent in the first place. Keeping headers in this case would be misleading in my opinion..

Keba
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Keba » 2009-07-07 10:54

Could the headers be added to the body of the bounce message perhaps? That way the mail admin receiving the bounce would be able to see what actually happened rather than not having a clue...

I'd vote for having the option to add the headers of the original message in the body of the bounce message.
Keba

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-07-07 11:16

Sure, attaching a copy of the original headers + maybe 1KB body to the bounce message would make sense. But that's soemthing different than keeping headers altogether...
I think we need more details from daviklock on what he's trying to do.

daviklock
New user
New user

Post by daviklock » 2009-07-07 15:49

I am after the X-Mailer header filelds in particular.
But I can see this is also useful for debugging purposes and I saw that some products would include the headers on the body.
This could be add as an option to include or not or another variable (%MACRO_HEADERS%) in your case.

The program I use is a E-Mail Marketing system and it needs to track bounces for its statistics, this is the only way it can match back its statistic lists and campaigns.