imap folder separator character to be configurable

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.

Do you need this feature?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 18

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

imap folder separator character to be configurable

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-04 21:43

Currently hMs uses a period (".") internally as a directory separator in imap filenames. So if you ask it to create the imap folder "foo.bar" it will actually create a folder "foo" and then another folder "bar" inside it.

That's a problem for people migrating from systems that treat periods like any other character, such as (but probably not limited to) MDaemon, and/or use them in their imap folder names. It also stops users naming their imap folders like they might a disk folder.

So I suggest that the administrator is given control over what char is used, or a less typical fixed character is chosen (perhaps something like "*" is safer?).

Note that I have no idea if imap specifies anything about this. I'd be surprised if it didnt actually.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-06-04 22:54

I think you're actually the first one ever to bring this up about this so I'm suspecting dot isn't exactly a common character in IMAP folder names... =)

(using * is probably a bad idea since it's a wildcard character)

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-04 23:05

martin wrote:I think you're actually the first one ever to bring this up about this so I'm suspecting dot isn't exactly a common character in IMAP folder names... =)

(using * is probably a bad idea since it's a wildcard character)
Story of my life, mate! If it happens to anyone, it happens to me first. I seem to have a deathwish :lol:

Actually it's just because we have a convention of using the same imap folders for email as hard disk folders for documents. It's also to do with Thunderbird 2's favourite folders functionality, which is flat, which means you sometimes want to prefix folder names with something to make them display grouped together. In which case you might follow your prefix with a period.

Yeah I know '*" is a wildcard, that's why I picked it - it's illegal in folder names, so less likely a stupid user ;-) is going to try and use it in an imap folder name.

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mbach » 2007-06-05 02:27

We also have the same problem as we used Exchange for our public and personal folders.
So many folders are in the manner of "support@domain.com" and therefore it would be really great to eliminate this limitation.

Greets, Markus

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-05 05:09

Martin is there any reason why the folder separater character that hMS uses has to be printable ASCII? If not you could always just use some character that the user couldn't possibly enter in a folder name (eg. carriage return, line feed, tab, etc). Then it wouldn't have to be configurable.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2007-06-05 06:28

NeBlackCat wrote:Martin is there any reason why the folder separater character that hMS uses has to be printable ASCII? If not you could always just use some character that the user couldn't possibly enter in a folder name (eg. carriage return, line feed, tab, etc). Then it wouldn't have to be configurable.
rfc 3501 5.1. Mailbox Naming
1) Any character which is one of the atom-specials (see the Formal Syntax) will require that the mailbox name be represented as a quoted string or literal.

2) CTL and other non-graphic characters are difficult to represent in a user interface and are best avoided.

3) Although the list-wildcard characters ("%" and "*") are valid in a mailbox name, it is difficult to use such mailbox names with the LIST and LSUB commands due to the conflict with wildcard interpretation.

4) Usually, a character (determined by the server implementation) is reserved to delimit levels of hierarchy.

5) Two characters, "#" and "&", have meanings by convention, and should be avoided except when used in that convention.
If you want compatibility with Exchange, then maybe you should use slash. Delimiter should not be configurable or it should provide only limited selection options.

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-05 08:40

dzekas wrote:
NeBlackCat wrote:Martin is there any reason why the folder separater character that hMS uses has to be printable ASCII? If not you could always just use some character that the user couldn't possibly enter in a folder name (eg. carriage return, line feed, tab, etc). Then it wouldn't have to be configurable.
rfc 3501 5.1. Mailbox Naming
1) Any character which is one of the atom-specials (see the Formal Syntax) will require that the mailbox name be represented as a quoted string or literal.

2) CTL and other non-graphic characters are difficult to represent in a user interface and are best avoided.

3) Although the list-wildcard characters ("%" and "*") are valid in a mailbox name, it is difficult to use such mailbox names with the LIST and LSUB commands due to the conflict with wildcard interpretation.

4) Usually, a character (determined by the server implementation) is reserved to delimit levels of hierarchy.

5) Two characters, "#" and "&", have meanings by convention, and should be avoided except when used in that convention.
If you want compatibility with Exchange, then maybe you should use slash. Delimiter should not be configurable or it should provide only limited selection options.
Agreed - slash seems fine to me.

As far as I understand it, we are talking about what character hMS uses internally in imap folder names to indicate directory breaks (eg. currently "Foo.Bar" means "Foo""Bar").

hMS currently uses a period, which means that you can't have a period in an imap folder name (which afaik is legitimate, and which breaks compatibility with the two big commercial servers on Windows - Exchange and MDaemon).

So the question is what should it use? I suggested something that's non-printable ASCII or invalid in imap folders (ref. rfc that you quote) as that would mean there's no possibility of conflict with a valid imap folder name chosen by the user on hMS or any other server. Slash would also be fine, as long as other popular servers dont allow it in a single imap folder name (which I doubt but haven't tried). That would mean there's no need to make it configurable.

Again, as far as I grok it we're talking about an internal implementation issue, not what's valid or not valid in an imap folder, insofar as hMS is free to choose what it likes as long as it doesn't stop users from using rfc-compliant and/or typically used imap folder names (as at present).

Just clarifying.

PS - after reading your post I wondered what would happen if I entered a folder name in quotes, it created <"Foo.bar"> (using angle brackets just as quotation delimiters) as <"foo> with a subdirectory <Bar">. I guess that was expected.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2007-06-05 09:10

As far as I understand it, we are talking about what character hMS uses internally in imap folder names to indicate directory breaks (eg. currently "Foo.Bar" means "Foo"\"Bar").
"\" is not slash. It is reverse solidus or backslash.
hMS currently uses a period, which means that you can't have a period in an imap folder name (which afaik is legitimate, and which breaks compatibility with the two big commercial servers on Windows - Exchange and MDaemon).
If you use slash, you will break compatibility with standard Cyrus IMAP configuration and Courier IMAP.

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-05 10:33

dzekas wrote:

As far as I understand it, we are talking about what character hMS uses internally in imap folder names to indicate directory breaks (eg. currently "Foo.Bar" means "Foo""Bar").
"" is not slash. It is reverse solidus or backslash.
If you use slash, you will break compatibility with standard Cyrus IMAP configuration and Courier IMAP.
Of course. I was simply indicating a subdirectory on Windows.

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-06 08:26

I confess that I struggle to understand why anyone has voted against this one. It's apparently a completely internal change which affects no-one except those that are having problems, and promotes ease of transitioning from the main Windows email servers to hMS. Or have I missed something? :?

iprat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by iprat » 2007-06-06 10:19

It's quite simple, you asked:

Yes or no

I do not need that feature. So I answer No. That does not mean that I think this is a bad idea or that I don't want this feature implemented, but for me is not necessary right now or in the near future.

In fact I would like all features to be implemented, but there's only one man out there implementing features, so I use a strict criteria for feature request.

That does not mean It will not be implemented, I justs means that it will not have my vote to prioritize it over other that seem more useful to me or others.

If enough people vote yes it will be implemented anyway. Martin adds features for the amount of Yes votes (have a look at here: http://www.hmailserver.com/devnet/?page ... te_results ), not by any strange calculation. If 100 vote yes and 80 vote no, it will be implemented (I think), probably as an option :D

You could ask, why don't you leave the poll unanswered ?... well the polls are for this, to get info about the needs of hMailServer users.
Last edited by iprat on 2007-06-06 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
My perfect combination:
hMailServer 5.6.1 (B2208), ASSP 1.3.3.8 (antispam), Clamav 0.98.6 (antivirus)

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-06-06 10:22

Actually, it's me who set the text to "Do you need this feature?" since NeBlackCat didn't read the "Read me first" before posting.

All feature requests in this section are pretty much good ideas. That doesn't mean that they should be implemented. There's no need to implement features which no-one need.

But as iprat says, it's really the yes-votes that count..

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-06 10:39

iprat wrote:It's quite simple, you asked:

Yes or no

I do not need that feature. So I answer No. That does not mean that I think this is a bad idea or that I don't want this feature implemented, but for me is not necessary right now or in the near future.

In fact I would like all features to be implemented, but there's only one man out there implementing features, so I use a strict criteria for feature request.

That does not mean It will not be implemented, I justs means that it will not have my vote to prioritize it over other that seem more useful to me or others.

If enough people vote yes it will be implemented anyway. Martin adds features for the amount of Yes votes (have a look at here: http://www.hmailserver.com/devnet/?page ... te_results ), not by any strange calculation. If 100 vote yes and 80 vote no, it will be implemented (I think), probably as an option :D

You could ask, why don't you leave the poll unanswered ?... well the polls are for this, to get info about the needs of hMailServer users.
Yes I spotted that (ie. that the question wasn't what I had actually asked) later, and pm-ed Martin to suggest that, if it was going to be fixed by the system, it was changed to something more like "Do you think this feature should be implemented?".

If a small percentage of people have critical problems because of something and would like it changed, it doesn't really look right when there are a larger number of "no" votes simply because others don't have the problem. It leaves the people who need it thinking they are outvoted and not likely to see the change made. At least the newbies anyway, I'd think.

I tend to vote based on what seems for the general good anyway, and just on the functionality itself (not allowing for prioritisation and implementation aspects, as only Martin can really judge those).

Anyway it's great that we have a voting system at all, so I'm not complaining. Democracy is never perfect!

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-06 10:43

martin wrote:Actually, it's me who set the text to "Do you need this feature?" since NeBlackCat didn't read the "Read me first" before posting.

All feature requests in this section are pretty much good ideas. That doesn't mean that they should be implemented. There's no need to implement features which no-one need.

But as iprat says, it's really the yes-votes that count..
NeBlackCat did, but he has read so many readme's, stickies, faqs, documents examples and posts on here in the last few days that it could have advised him that there was a skip full of $100 bills at the end of his garden and it probably wouldn't have registered ;-)

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-06-06 10:47

And there's apparently even more you should read ;)
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... ementation

As it says there, there's exception to the "voting". If users have a real critical problem, things may receive higher priority. But very often, users with a critical problem can just change the way they work so that it fits to the system, instead of changing the system. I would say that in 9 times out of 10, user finds a software behavior "critical showstopper" just because he hasn't evaluated the different solutions to it.

As an example, you can probably email all your users, telling them that starting by <DateOfChangeToNewServer>, dot may not be used in IMAP folder names. Would they sue you for that?

danny6167
Senior user
Senior user

Post by danny6167 » 2007-06-06 10:59

The only "Show Stopper" for me is when my internet goes down.
Should i file a bug report about this?
:lol:

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-06 11:29

danny6167 wrote:The only "Show Stopper" for me is when my internet goes down.
Should i file a bug report about this?
:lol:
Yes. If the internet goes down, then clearly Martin isn't working hard enough or has forgotten his Superman outfit ;-)

Though I think you actually just made my point for me, in a roundabout way!

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-06 11:57

martin wrote:And there's apparently even more you should read ;)
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... ementation

As it says there, there's exception to the "voting". If users have a real critical problem, things may receive higher priority. But very often, users with a critical problem can just change the way they work so that it fits to the system, instead of changing the system. I would say that in 9 times out of 10, user finds a software behavior "critical showstopper" just because he hasn't evaluated the different solutions to it.

As an example, you can probably email all your users, telling them that starting by <DateOfChangeToNewServer>, dot may not be used in IMAP folder names. Would they sue you for that?
Yes that was one of the first things I read. It was it's comment "other hMailServer users can vote for or against the feature" that made me comment that the question actually being asked wasn't really right.

I did say that the period thing wasn't truly critical. Truly critical is when data goes missing or things stop working. To me, anyway.

But I believe that one shouldn't require users to change their working habits, or put obstacles in the way of migration, unless really necessary. For all I know it takes a one character change to a #define somewhere to use something safer than periods. And I know one company who'd have to change their SOPs, software and/or configurations in four countries if one was to migrate to hMS, because of this issue. They have IMAP folders which match job codes, which are hierarchically expressed like .Net assembly names ("Projects.UK.Liverpool" for example).

But we all know that what seems almost irrelevant to one person can be a big issue to another, because we all work with software.

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mbach » 2007-07-24 10:35

Maybe we should change the topic from "imap folder separator character to be configurable" to "imap folder separator character should be NOT a dot/point"?

I think it does not make sense to make it configurable, but to make all characters you use in the "normal" Windows file-system usable in hms.... So hms is an email system for Windows and it is really quite difficult to make the users understand that they cannot use a dot in a folders name.
Some really do ask whether we changed our email address from support@domain.com to support@domain_com ?!? ;-)
And that is really not a joke!!! :cry:

So I just try to suggest some characters, that should be usable:
,;.:-_!"§$&()[]=?`´'#+@<>°^

Maybe this could be the beginning of a new (second) view to that feature request???

Best regards, Markus

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2007-07-24 12:20

mbach wrote: So I just try to suggest some characters, that should be usable:
,;.:-_!"§$&()[]=?`´'#+@<>°^
Could you read rfc3501 chapter about mailbox naming (5.1.) before starting suggestions about delimiters.

- and & are special characters in modified utf-7

# is suggested for use of namespace separator. hmailserver already reserved it in mailbox names.

There are three common delimiters:
. - period - Courier, Cyrus, hMailServer
/ - slash - UW, Exchange, some commercial Windows mail servers, Cyrus in unixhierarchysep:yes setup.
\ - backslash - don't know who uses, but IMAP RFC says that it is popular.

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mbach » 2007-07-24 16:48

Dear dzekas,

thanks for your direct hint about RFC. I really did not check any offical docs, I just tried to suggest some characters by my own, personal, practical view.... :oops:

But nevertheless, I could find the following characters, that are allowed by UTF-7:

direct use: A-Za-z0-9'(),./?-:
coded use: !"#$%&*;<=>@[]^_`{|}
(source: German Wikipedia about UTF-7, I hope that is o.k.)

So maybe my personal suggestion is to use "\" (backslash) as future delimiter to use all possible characters, which are allowed by UTF-7?!?

Did I forget something else? Is there another RFC I should consider first???

Regards, Markus

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2007-07-24 17:53

mbach wrote: Did I forget something else? Is there another RFC I should consider first???

Regards, Markus
English Wikipedia article on utf-7.

"A modified form of UTF-7 is currently used in the IMAP e-mail retrieval protocol for mailbox names. See section 5.1.3 of RFC 3501 for details."

UTF-7 uses + and - for shifting between ASCII and base64
UTF-7-IMAP uses & and -

"(", ")" and "{" are atom-specials
double quote and "" are quoted-specials
"]" is resp-special

RFC3501
----

----

You can find lots of rarely used ascii symbols that can used for delimiter. I am only suggesting to keep some sanity, provide limited options and don't try to outsmart other servers. Period and slashes ok. Other servers use them. Something else - please don't.

If delimiter options are limited, users can use more symbols in folder names and those names will be compatible between different imap servers.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-07-24 18:05

I am only suggesting to keep some sanity, provide limited options and don't try to outsmart other servers. Period and slashes ok. Other servers use them. Something else - please don't.
I won't add a long list of different characters, 1-2 new at most (slash and maybe backslash). Because more options -> more complicated software -> more user problems and more bugs -> less happy users -> me spending more time in the forum -> development slows down -> and so on.. As we say in sweden, "många bäckar små".

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mbach » 2007-07-24 18:06

dzekas wrote: You can find lots of rarely used ascii symbols that can used for delimiter. I am only suggesting to keep some sanity, provide limited options and don't try to outsmart other servers. Period and slashes ok. Other servers use them. Something else - please don't.

If delimiter options are limited, users can use more symbols in folder names and those names will be compatible between different imap servers.
Thanks dzekas,

your words a really more professional than mine.
That's what I was thinking about and tried to express.....

@martin: And what does that mean for Non-Swedish people??? ("många bäckar små.")

Greets, Markus
Last edited by mbach on 2007-07-24 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

iprat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by iprat » 2007-07-24 18:07

martin wrote:
I am only suggesting to keep some sanity, provide limited options and don't try to outsmart other servers. Period and slashes ok. Other servers use them. Something else - please don't.
I won't add a long list of different characters, 1-2 new at most (slash and maybe backslash).
Amen !
My perfect combination:
hMailServer 5.6.1 (B2208), ASSP 1.3.3.8 (antispam), Clamav 0.98.6 (antivirus)

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-07-24 18:13

mbach, directly translated including grammar errors: "many small brooks together becomes a big river" ;) (I'm sure the same expression exists in English as well with some similar words)

(What I means is that this specific thing may not seem like a big thing, it's only a small option. But if you add many small options each increasing complexity only a little bit, you'll have a very complex product sooner or later. :)

standern
Normal user
Normal user

Post by standern » 2007-07-25 16:59

I also have the same problem.
I used MDaemon and had a lot of folders using dot, especialy for names abreviations. For moving account from one server to another I used IMAPCopy and it created a great mess.

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Re: imap folder separator character to be configurable

Post by mbach » 2008-10-24 16:12

Dear Martin,

will you add this feature to v5??? :D

Regards, Markus

zzz
Normal user
Normal user

Post by zzz » 2008-10-25 05:32

If it's a folder delimiter why do not use backslash (or slash)? What 's wrong with it?
Perhaps an option is overkill here, but as a fixed character (delimiter) backslash (or slash) looks fine to me.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-10-31 11:15

No, this feature is not included in v5. No more features will be added to v5 (it's beta now).

-taz-
New user
New user

Post by -taz- » 2008-11-01 05:54

I would think making it configurable would provide for back wards compatibility as well as compatibility with other IMAP servers (and I use DOT all the time -- I find it very common in an email address, and I happen to record email addresses in IMAP folders frequently).

Even if it doesn't get made "configurable" in V5 it certainly would be nice if it weren't a literal scattered through the source code -- making it a simple define would at least allow others to easily re-build the source after making a one line edit.

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mbach » 2008-11-03 00:22

@-taz-

As far as I know hamilserver is NOT Open Source any more. It is now Freeware?!?
So changing the delimiter and rebuilding the sources is not possible any more...

I want to push this feature as we need it in Germany.

Regards, Markus

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-11-03 00:35

I'm not really sure I understand the "we need it in Germany" argument. I doubt companies in Germany doesn't have more dots in folder names than other countries. :)

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2008-11-03 01:58

V4 is still open source, you are quite welcome to alter that and rebuild it to your needs.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

-taz-
New user
New user

Post by -taz- » 2008-11-07 07:19

So how long does it take for source code to be posted after a binary release?

I've got no problem sticking with v4... and making the directory separator a #define is straight forward.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-11-07 10:05

It will be up tomorrow.

(The setting is already stored in a single location in v5 but it's not configurable.)

-taz-
New user
New user

Post by -taz- » 2008-11-09 07:46

Great, I've downloaded B283; I have my changes for B279 which should merge fairly easily into that tree...

I created a method in the IniFileSettings and added a INI section and key to the installer (the default is ".", so you have to edit the INI to change it).

I use "/" as the separator (and I've tested with that and "." -- "\" is also a reasonable separator... you could set it to anything you can put in an INI file, but I really recommend you stick with the three common IMAP separator characters).

If anyone wants to patch and build themselves have source changes (as a patch file). Remember, when you change Open Source code -- you end up having to maintain it yourself; and for the time being it's not going to be compatible with V5. Please don't ask for the binary unless you're willing to host it for download and you co-ordinate to get a version identifier for "variant" builds.

Here is a link to my BLOG which has some instructions and links to the patch files: http://blog.rogersoles.com/2008/11/09/t ... ailserver/

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mbach » 2008-11-17 13:47

Dear Martin,

sorry to answer so late...

We need it "in Germany" because noone understands not to use a "." (dot) in a folder name. So this is a quite uncommon behaviour. So this leds to many questions which are not necessary. Therefore we "need" it, because user "use" it quite often, e.g. mailbox names, domain names in folders.
Also they normally do not understand why they create a new folder with a subfolder, if they use a ".". So you have more support cases then necessary.

So to answer your question: I think, we do not need that feature "only" in Germany, but we need it "in Germany" (small wording play... :D).

Thanks for all your help and your always appreciated comments - I really like the way, the people talk to each other in this forum!!!!

Cheers, Markus

timb0311
Normal user
Normal user

Post by timb0311 » 2008-12-01 18:59

I would say use a control character or a tilde "~", something that no one would use in a folder name in any locale. I don't think it should or needs to be a configuration option.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-01-05 12:11

In hMailServer 5.1 it will be possible to choose from . \ and /. It will not be possible to change hierarchy delimiter to a character which exists in one of the existing IMAP folders. So you have the best chance setting up this in a fresh system with no existing folders. It may be hard to change this setting afterwards when users have started to use the system. Outlook Express for example appears to cache this information somewhere in the account-settings. Hence, changing the delimiter on a system where you have a lot of users might have the effect that they need to reconfigure their clients for it to work properly.
timb0311 wrote:I would say use a control character or a tilde "~", something that no one would use in a folder name in any locale. I don't think it should or needs to be a configuration option.
The character isn't used only within hMailServer. It's used in the communication between the IMAP server and the IMAP client. Using a "control character" such as backspace or tab is guaranteed to result in problems. Also, I've seen people (at least one) using ~ in IMAP folder names to "group" them in some way he wanted. My point is that you can't assume that any character at all is available. If it's possible to use a specific character, some people will want to use it. :)

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mbach » 2009-01-09 13:36

Thank you again, Martin, for all your efforts!!!

Best regards and a Happy New Year!!!

Markus

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-03 13:58

Moving to archive since it's included in 5.1.