How do translators communicate among themselves?

Use this forum if you want to discuss a problem or ask a question related to a hMailServer beta release.
Paulo Meireles
Normal user
Normal user

How do translators communicate among themselves?

Post by Paulo Meireles » 2005-09-24 00:36

It would be very useful to have a "comment" field with each translated sentence, where translators could leave... their comments (what else?) :D

Also, it would be great if translators could "subscribe" to several languages - some as "translators", and others merely as "readers". For instance, in my particular case, I can translate to Portuguese and, as I know some Spanish and French (but not enough to translate to any of them) I would be "reader" for those languages.

The translation interface would then show the original sentence, with the "reader" languages as read-only, and the "translator" languages as editable fields. Seeing how others have translated to their own language can be invaluable with certain hard-to-translate expressions. It would also help keeping the translation more coherent among languages.

Is it too difficult to implement? Or just nor worth the effort?

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2005-09-24 09:53

I'll think about it. It would probably take a few hours to implement that..

iprat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by iprat » 2005-09-25 00:42

That would be a nice implementation.

I would like to be Spanish and Catalan translator, but for the time I only can be Spanish translator.

If you implement this, please contact iprat for Catalan translation, it might be ready for 4.2 if you give me enough time ;)

Best regards,

Ignasi

Julien@TLD
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Julien@TLD » 2005-09-29 13:01

Great idea, a simple comment filed at the top of the translation pages would be a good thing to communicate with the others translators. We could so respect the same terms and the same expressions in our translation.

Paulo Meireles
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Paulo Meireles » 2005-10-11 02:15

As I thought it, we'd rather have one comment field per translated expression / sentence, and it would only be visible if it had any content.